Table of Contents Hide
Video advertising fraud is monarch of the digital advertising industry. It’s shutting down the doors to the ad buyers in finding the new video ad sources. The economy of the marketing world is being eaten up by the creepy bots that are completely ruining the human activity of producing real impressions and conversions for the video ads.
What does video ad fraud mean?
How the bots become the bugs in video advertising?
Video Advertising Fraud
It is the process of generating the high conversion rate, video ad impressions, and clicks, etc. through fraudulent activity in the promotion of brands by online video advertisements with the intention of producing the revenue.
“The video ad spend is going to overreach $18 billion in 2020”.
The fraud video advertising is most commonly allied with in-app ads, banner ads, affiliate marketing for conversion fraud and search marketing for click fraud.
Simply the use of bots in generating traffic without the involvement of humans can define the term video advertising fraud. The activity of video ad fraud might have the characteristics of nonhuman traffic, intended misrepresentation, and no view-ability.
The page views, clicks, and conversions through fake persons form submissions will be produced that might include bots to participate in this action.
In this activity the botnets which are being operated through a collection of personal computers by the fake actors. These botnets will provide the fake clicks and impressions by finishing the tasks to click on ads and loading the video ad that is completely monitored by the fake actors.
In most of the cases, the fraud advertisers will hide the ads on the page that is in the transparent way which will visible as the normal web page. When the visitor visits that page might click that ad, but it will be viewed by the users of the page that generates no real view-ability.
“45% total video ad spend is associated with 65% of video advertising fraud”.
Generation of traffic through bots
The fraud advertisers can use the bots from different web services with different bot code in various ways to drain the malicious traffic. These act by replacing the human activity.
- When the web users are in the stream of browsing the web, the bots will provide the video ad views automatically.
- It simulates the web surfers to participate the particular activity through invisible procedures.
- The generation of fake clicks for the ads by hacking the user controls while the computers are in sleep mode.
- Dealing cookie-data with the intention of simulating the high-value users.
- The legal sites will be infected by the advertising frauds through the creation of fake network by ‘botnets’ that helps to raise the income.
- Providing the traffic source to the buyers through the invention of robotics.
Survival of Video Advertising Fraud
Everyone knows that video advertising fraud is still crawling to infect the video advertising industry. The survival of the video ad fraud will deliberately poison the marketing world that pulls the economy down. Here we can consider various factors that help in the existence of the video advertising fraud.
Advanced programmatic video advertising:
It allows the publishers and marketers to participate in the digital marketing world in the most advanced way with no restrictions. The activity of bots will highly influence the advertisers to make use of it that delivers the inferior quality of marketing strategy.
Video ad fraud is not illegitimate:
It is not considered as the illegal activity, and it is the main reason to expand the video ad fraud that boosts the performance of the bots and fraud advertisers in the present era.
Delivery of side platforms:
The intention of branding the products or services is directing the advertisers to hook up with the side platforms that are being introduced by the developers. It stimulates them to acquire fraud ad strategies.
Role of publishers:
Most of the publishers want to get the constant traffic that generates the sales through the promotion of video ad campaigns. Most of the cases the publishers with the intention of using the anonymous tools and techniques that involves the no human participation and this can be considered as the fraudulent activity, especially in advertising.
“Certified human traffic is most preferred by the 37% of advertisers that allows them to pay 11% of premium”.
Ad Fraud Detection Strategies
Fraud detection on Business ads gains momentum and controversies are going on. There are several issues raised due to Ad fraud and marketers went to spend more time on this issues. Here we have listed out some Ad fraud detection.
IAS researchers proved that there is the significant difference between the companies who use ad fraud prevention (1.6% fraud incidence) and those who did not use the Ad fraud prevention techniques(app 13.2%). In this case Proactive, management works.
It’s Time for Action:
In the second half of the 2016 social media hosts raised some issues in the forefront of marketers regarding the media quality, fake news, Methbot and Extremist sites. The trust and transparency are the critical issues continuing in the video advertising.
Increased Video Viewability:
Video ads continue to grow on demand ads, high-quality display ads, Video CPM’s are also subsequently increasing. The videos ads raised 40% to 58% on desktops respectively. As higher the video CPMs medium make more susceptible to fraudsters. So, advertisers need to focus more on video ad campaigns to detect the cheats.
Improved brand safety:
Advertisers should maintain brand safety, But because of Fake news, increased violence and extremist content the brand safety has become a critical issue for the advertisers. As compared to previous years the brand safety decreased the advertisers keep an eye on it.
The ad fraud begins at late nights 12 a.m and peeks 4 a.m in the early morning hours and steadily declines and growing till the 8 a.m and continuous the throughout the day. The maximum times of ad fraud occur at late nights while the people are sleeping.
Image Source: IAB UK
Video Advertising Fraud detection Best Practices
The advertiser thinks that the ad content is delivorganizedhe audience only, it also provided to the various entities that will spoil the ecosystem to give the fraud traffic. Fraud traffic takes and an organised effort to generate fool both the buyers and sellers.
The fraudsters are not just gaming the system they are often engaging in the Organised criminal activity. The best practices play key role in identifying the fraud traffic and destroying the criminal activity to restoring the truth in the industry.
- Buying traffic increases the risk Fraud, so don’t buy the traffic from the Non- Organic sources. Non-organic traffic includes some non-organic media properties that will send without your control.
- The advertisers need to find and extend the audience reach and increase the Inventory despite your best efforts.
“The video ad serving websites 1 out of 5 will be visited by the fraud bots”.
- Publishers are recommended to Avoid the Purchasing traffic. Purchasing traffic will lead your long-term success at risk to the short-term profits.
- But if the publisher must increase the inventory, the purchasing traffic pay high to buy the quality product.
- Use the technologies to detect the non-human traffic from the all your buying. Maintain the standards to when performing slips below your goals.
- Lake of proper understanding between you purchased audience and you fraud occurs. Know your consultant where they are getting traffic from ad campaigns.
- The websites should provide the required proper information to the advertisers and consumers to actively detect the unauthorised parties.
- Usually, the significant traffic from a single site and a deficient traffic sources should investigate to identify the malicious virus traffic.
- The traffic source sites which provide ad posting privileges should correspond to site URL. That means it reported by the first and third party campaign analytics performance.
- Autoplay ads are, more susceptible to ad fraud that may be used to deposit requests for the only user-generated ads.
“In 2017 the desktop ad click fraud has raised from 20% to 24%”.
- The advertisers must engage with viewers, not with the users who accidentally open the webpage. Each site should maintain some policies and technique to know who are the real users.
- The advertisers should measure their audience by individual vendors. So that, you can measure and manage your traffic against the independent properties. This helps to fool the fraudsters quickly.
- Auto initiated video ads are more susceptible to fraud detection. Publishers will fulfilment their numbers by autoplay ads where the advertisers specific initiated only want the user-initiated ads.
The Advertisers have an eye on the fraudster those who know how to overcome this Ad fraud best practices and strategies. Advertisers should stay diligent and continue to seek expert advise on over this issues. Here we have provided detailed view of How to identify the Video advertising Fraud and some best practices and Strategies for Combating Video Advertising Fraud.