Table of Contents Hide
OTT streaming is the new way to watch TV. OTT services are rising with the increased popularity of cutting the cord and unsubscribing from cable.
Keep an eye on some of the most important OTT Ad Metrics and explain what they mean for advertisers if you’re looking to get into OTT advertising or just want to understand the industry better.
If you are searching for different techniques to improve your OTT streaming service? If so, you need to understand the most important OTT streaming metrics. In this blog post, we’ll break down these metrics and provide examples of how to track them. With this information, you’ll be able to fine-tune your service and deliver an even better experience to your viewers.
How do you know OTT Video ads are Successful?
The best way to tell if your ad is successful is by looking at the engagement rates, like view time and completion rate.
OTT video marketing is a powerful way to reach your customers. Recent studies have shown that the average person spends 4 hours per day using OTT apps and even more time watching videos!
OTT Video ads are very successful. They have higher conversion rates than pre-roll video ads because users watch videos to completion about four times more often for OTT Ads than they do for pre-rolls.
Like the ones we offer on our platform, OTT Video ads can be a very effective advertising method.
How Do You Measure OTT Advertising?
The main tools available for measuring OTT advertising are used for other digital platforms.
Measuring OTT (over the top) advertising is difficult. It’s impossible to use traditional metrics like clicks and impressions because there’s no direct way for users to interact with an OTT ad without installing an app or downloading something.
With OTT advertising, you can measure how many people are watching your ads through a TV-based system in real-time.
Two ways to measure OTT advertising are tracking the number of views and impressions or monitoring the click-through rate.
OTT advertising is measured in two ways. The first way is through impression analysis. This allows you to measure the number of impressions your ad has received and how many unique users view it.
Different Methods to measure OTT Ad campaigns
- Determine what you want to achieve with your OTT ad campaign
- Choose the right platform for your campaign
- Create engaging and relevant content
- Target the right audience
- Measure performance against your goals
- Gauge campaign success using reach and frequency
- Look at engagement rates
- Compare costs against results
- Evaluate how users interact with ads
- Analyze audience feedback
- Traditional viewership metrics: Gross impressions, reach, frequency, and CPM/CPC
- Engagement metrics: Ad recall, brand awareness lift, message association, and purchase intent
- Social media metrics: Likes, shares, comments, and total reach
- Web Analytics: Unique visitors to the ad landing page or site where the ad was placed
- Determining what device your viewers are using to watch your ads
- Identifying the operating system of those devices
- Tracking how long people are watching your ads
- Measuring whether people are clicking on your ads
- Gauging audience engagement with your ads
- Traditional viewability metrics such as video completion rates and average watch time
- Unique user numbers – counting the number of different people who have watched at least part of your ad
- Social media sharing – looking at how many times your ad has been shared on social media platforms
- Engagement metrics such as click-through rates (CTRs) and conversion rates
- ROI (return on investment)
Measuring the Streaming Quality and Performance
The method used to measure the streaming quality is through a mathematical model. The model considers different metrics such as jitter and packet loss, calculated using RTCP reports.
An excellent way to improve the quality of your streaming media is by measuring it.
As the need for live video content rises, online media companies and services that distribute it will ensure its quality. This is particularly true with new technologies such as 4K resolution, which require more bandwidth than most current Internet connections can support.
To measure the quality of your stream, it is important to look at two different factors, bitrate and FPS.
Key OTT Metrics To Increase Audience Viewership
- Viewership: Monitor viewership and track growth to ensure that your content resonates with viewers. Monitor the number of viewers your video content is receiving daily, weekly, or monthly. Compare viewership to similar content in order to gauge how well your audience is engaging with your videos.
- Engagement: Analyze engagement levels (number of comments, likes, shares) to see which pieces of content are most popular. Compare engagement rates to similar content to see where you stand.
- Demographics: Gain insights into who your audience is by looking at age, gender, location, and other factors
- Consumption habits: Understand how people are watching your content (live vs. on-demand, devices used) in order to optimize future programming
- Competition: Compare your viewership and engagement against that of similar channels/shows to identify areas where you can improve
- Social Shares: Track the number of times your videos are shared on social media platforms like Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn. Compare this metric against other types of content to see which resonates most with your audience.
- Bounce Rate: Keep an eye on how
- Average session duration
- Conversion rates
- Churn rate
- Watch time
- Session duration
- Watch time
- Devices used to watch content
- Ad views and click-through rates
- Keep track of your audience’s engagement with your content
- Analyze the demographics of your audience
- Monitor how long people are watching your videos
- Track viewer drop-off rates
- Evaluate viewer feedback and adjust content accordingly
- Look at which platforms are driving the most viewership
- Compare your viewership metrics against those of other broadcasters
- Retention: track how long viewers are sticking around for
- Traffic sources: identify where most of your audience is coming from
- Device usage: find out which devices people use to watch your videos.
While various OTT streaming metrics could be monitored, the ones we’ve highlighted in this guide should be your starting point.
Monitor the insights of how viewers engage with your content and make data-driven decisions about allocating your resources for continued success by tracking these essential metrics.
Have questions about which OTT advertising metric is most important for your business?
Contact our team of experts would love to help!